Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #18

I really like Open Office Writer. It is a whole lot like Word, but a cool thing I discovered is that you can choose a background (stones, rice paper, etc.) for your entire document. If that can be done in Word, I'm not aware. Open Office Impress is almost identical to PowerPoint, but there aren't many backgrounds at all...I only saw 4. It may be possible to download more, but I haven't gotten that far. Google Docs is not bad, but there don't seem to be as many options for fonts, etc as with Word. There are however, more presentation templates & backgrounds than in Open Office. I think I'll still stick with Word, but it is nice to know that both of those options are out there should I ever encounter a computer without Word.

2 comments:

Terry said...

The free option is nice and Microsoft should sit up and take notice but I'm with you, Open Office programs aren't powerful enough yet to make me switch.

ESLFroggie said...

The cool thing about these online productivity tools is is that they are available to everyone, including students who might only have Internet access and who don't have an MS Office bundled with their computer software. I always enjoy free things and am glad that you liked Google Docs better as I didn't check out Open Office...